Emergency Fire Damage Tips
Consider these fire damage tips to help you deal with the unexpected!
Things To Do In The Event Of Fire Damage:
- Remember to call ServiceMaster By Singer within the first 24 hours of the fire. Corrosive fumes and soot from smoke and fire can cause permanent etching in less than 72 hours.
- If the outdoor temperature is above 60 degrees, open windows and doors to help air out your home and reduce smoke odors.
- Clean chrome, formica, aluminum and porcelain fixtures to prevent tarnishing and etching.
- If your furnace uses forced hot air, change the air filter.
- Tape damp cheesecloth over important documents to capture loose soot in the air.
- Dispose of any opened packages of food.
- If the electricity is off, clean out the refrigerator and leave doors propped open.
- Send any clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified restoration dry cleaner for thorough cleaning.
Avoid Doing The Following:
- Do not try to wash walls as incorrect cleaning can add to any soot residue.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture.
- Have all electrical appliances checked before using them.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.